Tuesday 25 December 2018

12 Days of Christmas Ancestors - Day 1




"The first day of Christmas my true love sent to me
A partridge in a pear tree."



Clement King, my 4x great-grandfather inherited the Loddiswell Mill in Devon from his father Thomas King.  Clement left it to his oldest son, Thomas when he died in 1822.


"I do give and devise unto my son Thomas King All that my Messuages and Tenements with the Appurtenances called Loddiswell Mills, Mill Hill by Slade, Tucking Mill Marshes and (?)  Laster (or Caster)  Field or Persons Plott Laying at or near Loddiswell Mill in the Parishes of Loddiswell and West Alvington aforesaid and all my Right Title and Interest therein To hold the same Tenements and premises with the appurtenances unto and to the only use and behoof of my said son Thomas King his Heirs and Assigns forever."

Part of the land belonging to Loddiswell Mill was orchard. 
Fruit trees were very common in old Devonshire, mostly apples for  making cider, but also pear and other fruits. 






When Thomas King died he left Loddiswell Mill to his only son John Clement King. On 19 October 1874 John advertised to let the mill, which included 19 acres of excellent orchard and pasture land. 



John died 12 days later at the age of 38 with no wife or children and his estate was left to his two unmarried sisters, and it was eventually sold out of the family after more than 200 years of the King family running it. 


#12DaysofAncestors

5 comments:

  1. Great story for your Christmas day 1 - I note that the land was let from Christmas Day 1874. I do like finding out such legacies from my family tree too - especially when I convert the currency of the time to present day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Christmas Day part was a bonus!
      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. What a shame that the mill couldn't have stayed in the family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is now a beautiful garden center with a tea shop, and upstairs is a B&B... I’d love to go stay there some day.

      Delete
    2. Well, that's all right, then! I'm glad to hear it's not been torn down to put up a strip mall, which is happening too frequently in my neck of the woods (southern New Hampshire).

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are welcome!

Copyright

Copyright © Genealogy: Beyond the BMD
Division of Dianne at Home