Saturday 29 December 2018

12 Days of Christmas Ancestors - Day 5




"The fifth day of Christmas my true love sent to me
five gold rings..."



I have written about my paternal 6th great grandfather James Tait who was a goldsmith in 1700s Edinburgh, and his son Adam Tait who made a ring with the likeness of Prince Charles engraved on it. 

Lately I discovered that there is also a jeweler on my maternal side. 

James Thompson Mavor, Jeweler, and George Leslie Mavor, watchmaker (brothers and my 2nd cousins 2x removed) formed Mavor Bros Ltd, Jewelers and Watchmakers in Fredricton, New Brunswick after their service in the First World War. 


In 1931 the Department of Lands and Mines, Game Warden Service, asked Mavor Bros to make badges for hunting, game, guides and fishing.




In 1932 the Department of Lands and Mines, Game Warden Service, asked Mavor Bros to make 34,450 hunting badges and 7000 game license badges, for a total of $2531.08






I couldn't find any for those years, but this is what the Warden badges looked like...


Their sister Olga Catherine Mavor married a watchmaker from Port Colborne, Niagara. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are welcome!

Copyright

Copyright © Genealogy: Beyond the BMD
Division of Dianne at Home