Saturday 4 April 2020

A to Z Challenge 2020 - D




The Blogging from A to Z Challenge is to post everyday (except Sunday) in the month of April 2020 starting with the letter A and going all the way to Z. My theme is...
Ancestor Occupations 




DONKEY CHAIR PROPRIETOR


Sarah Nichols (sister of my 2x great grandmother Elizabeth Nichols) and her husband Henry Crawford were always getting into or causing trouble.  One of the ways they made their money was by being Donkey Chair proprietors, for which they had to pay a license. I don't know what they charged but I have seen fares of 6d to 9d.







In 1855 the Crawfords let their donkeys wander onto a neighbour's property...



FMP - Devon- Western Times 18 Aug 1855, pg.7


Henry and his wife Sarah were charged with "pound breach" on complaint by Mr James Shinner, who states he found mule tracks in his fields on several occasions. Both defendants were proved guilty and fined £1 11s 3d each, including costs. 


In 1858 Henry Crawford, who keeps a donkey chair for hire, brought action to recover £2 for damages done by Mr Edwards to his chair, driven at the time by Sarah.


FMP - Devon - Western Times 1 May 1858, pg7


Cawford demanded the £2 10s from Mr Edwards, who said he would not give 5s for the donkey and trap, with the woman into the bargain! Judgement for amount claimed. 

Sarah died in July 1885 at age 61 and in January 1887 Henry decided to sell the Donkey Chair business.




FMP - Totnes Weekly Times 29 Jan 1887, pg.4





14 comments:

  1. I have to say that a Donkey Chair Proprietor was a completely new occupation to me.
    Your story made fascinating reading and I loved that Punch illustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. it is this story that gave me the idea of doing occupations!

      Delete
  2. Wow! I’ve never heard of a donkey chair proprietor. Loved the news article...easily visualised. And now I’m curious what midges are in the second article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You’ll hear more of Sarah and Henry in a later post.

      Delete
  3. What a fun theme for A to Z! I love the donkey cart trouble couple :D And I envy you a bit for having sources about family members from so long ago...

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Your posts with all the animal takes are fun to read!

      Delete
  4. What an interesting career choice although it sounds a bit stressful. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I caught up on your posts, and will keep following.

      Delete
  5. I guess I realised what a donkey chair might be and if I thought it through would have realised that there would be donkey chair proprietors - your post though makes fascinating reading and a glimpse into bygone times :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An occupation that was quite common in those days, but not one that comes to mind when we think of occupations! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. Donkey Chair proprietors? Love it! I want to see a TV show about this couple and their antics.

    ~Tui Snider, @TuiSnider TuiSnider.com - Exploring Historic Cemeteries & Symbolism

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why her sister, my 2x ggm, emigrated to Canada lol

      Delete
  7. A new one for me too. I had to go to Mr Google to discover what a Donkey Chair actually was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many articles of donkey chair accidents in the newspapers of the time.
      Another name I had come across when helping my cousin, is Bath Chair Proprietor.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are welcome!

Copyright

Copyright © Genealogy: Beyond the BMD
Division of Dianne at Home