Saturday 18 April 2020

A to Z Challenge 2020 - P




The Blogging from A to Z Challenge is to post everyday (except Sunday) in the month of April 2020 starting with the letter A and going all the way to Z. My theme is...
Ancestor Occupations 





PIG FARMER


My 3rd great grandfather William Carter was born November 1779 in the parish of Pilling in Lancashire, England.


William was a pig farmer on a Fold House Farm of 41 acres. 







There were Carter pig farmers at Fold House down through the ages. 














There were Carters from Fold House Farm in Stock Breeders directories and journals... for now there are only snippet views






Pigs from Pilling were flown to Yugoslavia in 1953. Although none belonged to a Carter, the pigs may be descended from Carter pigs. 




Fold House was eventually turned into a Caravan Park and won the Caravan Holiday Park of the Year award from Tourism Awards in 2004-2005







6 comments:

  1. My grandfather used to have pigs when I was little. Big family pig slaughter was still a tradition in the village at the time; everyone got together, got drunk, killed the pig, and the processed all of it in one day.

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a fun day (except for the killing the pig part)

      Delete
  2. My late MIL grew up on a hog farm. SHe said she envied her friends who got to eat turkey for Thanksgiving because it was always pork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a good roast pork, but not that much to give up a turkey lol

      Delete
  3. A pig farmer from Pilling..very alliterative. I wonder why they exported those ones to Yugoslavia, presumably because of quality. Our ancestors could have had a symbiotic relationship as my 2xgreat grandfather was a pork butcher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha as soon as I first read it aloud “pig farmer from parish of Pilling” I thought that too.
      I once tried a smoked pork chop and, I’ll be darned, it tastes like ham! Haha!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are welcome!

Copyright

Copyright © Genealogy: Beyond the BMD
Division of Dianne at Home